Photographer - Rahel Weiss
Stylist - Lauren Dietze
Hair and Make up - Me
We recently shot this gorgeous hair story, I'm gonna give you a run down on how to create the look yourself!
Our model, Rebecka has a lot of hair but it's quite fine which means it holds shape really well, depending on your hair texture (or your models hair texture) you'll want to prep the hair first with products designed for your hair type.
Prepping the hair means you'll get better results that last much longer.
1. I like to dampen the hair down with a little water and continue with either Bumble and Bumble Tonic (dry, coarse, coloured hair) or Bumble and Bumble Prep (fine, limp, healthy hair)
I spray this through in layers, to ensure even application.
Both these replace moisture, de-tangle and enhance the performance of other products.
2. Either add Bumble and Bumble Thickening Spray (for fine hair) or Bumble and Bumble Styling Creme (for when you need a little bit more control) These will work like an old-school mousse, they add body, lift, curl definition and hold.
3. Blow dry the hair in sections, starting at the nape of the neck, using a large round brush, lift the hair straight up from the root to achieve maximum lift.
4. Again starting at the nape of the neck, take inch sections and wrap them around a... barrel tong. Spray a little Bumble and Bumble Does It All Styling Spray to each section first, pin once tonged.
For this look you want to achieve a large bulk in the longer lengths so to pad this area out, keep your tongs horizontal and keep the hair going straight up once you get to the root.
5. Once you're half way up the head, start tonging with your barrel vertical, do one row around the head with the curl facing one way and do the next layer with the curl facing the other way - this will give us nice variation of curls and direction to achieve a natural bigness.
6. For the top of the head, take slightly bigger sections and curl all the hair back away from the face, your tongs will be horizontal for the very top of the head.
7. Spray a little Bumble and Bumble Classic Hair Spray all over the head and let cool completely.
8. Unpin all the curls, starting at the nape of the neck, gently comb through with a wide toothed comb.
You may like to add a little Bumble and Bumble Defrizz (for control, to get those flyaways) or a little Bumble and Bumble Brilliantine for course, dry hair to separate and smooth) I used Brilliantine on Rebecka, I worked it into my hands and squeezed it into her hair from the mid to ends.
9. I added definition to picked out pieces and ends with Bumble and Bumble Sumowax, this just adds to the texture and keeps every strand different. This is the time to really play with the hair, shape it, mould it, pull pieces out, rub the roots, backcomb the ends in large sections with a soft bristle brush, any tweaking you want to do.
10. One last light mist of Bumble and Bumble Classic Hair Spray for flexible hold and subtle sheen. Lift the hair and spray into the curl, you never want to spray hair stiff.
That gives you big textured curly, beachy, beautiful hair, give it a go and let me know how you get on.
Hope that's helpful, send me through any questions x
Obviously you can use other products and other brands to create this look, but this is what I used on our model on the day, and it's what I have in my kit and use regularly.
You can read more about Bumble and Bumble hair products, styles, and how tos on their website
And all products can be purchased online or at Liberty, Space NK, Selfridges and Salons.
Love Le Riche x